Date:Saturday, June 21 2008
From 9 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
Sponsor/Contact: the Kalamazoo County Health and Community Services
Type of Event: Unwanted Medications
Details: Free, special collection for old prescription and over-the-counter pharmaceuticals for residents of southwesat Michigan set for June 21, 2008 in Kalamazoo County. Rid your home of unwanted prescription and over-the-counter pharmaceuticals.
• Prescription medication, such as antibiotics, birth control, and insulin (no sharps or syringes)
• Medication samples - Over-the-counter medication, such as ibuprofen, aspirin, cold medicine
• Personal care products, such as medicated ointments, lotions, and shampoos
• Veterinary medications
What is not accepted?
• Medical waste including sharps and syringes
• Mercury-containing products (such as thermometers)
Who can participate?
The collection is free to any household in southwest Michigan.
Don’t flush medicines!
An investigation by the Associated Press found a wide variety of pharmaceuticals, including antibiotics, mood stabilizers and hormones, in the drinking water of 41 million Americans.
Most medications pass untreated through wastewater treatment plants and are discharged into local rivers or groundwater.
Loy Norrix High School
606 E. Kilgore
(off Lovers Lane)
The pharmaceutical collection is sponsored by the Kalamazoo County Health and Community Services, and the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).